Saturday 1 April 2017

Lego 42065 Review

Lego Technic 42065 - RC Tracked Racer Review

So this is my first review of an actual Lego build and I must confess to you all that it has taken a while for me to get to as I have not wanted to stop playing with my new toy!

The Lego Technic RC Tracked Racer is Lego's modern foray into the remote controlled car space. Granted, most technic sets can be motorised but this set has been specifically designed by Lego to serve two masters - Lego toy and RC toy. 

I assume if you are reading a review about this Lego model then you are probably considering purchasing it but just in case you need it, here are the details:

Item: Lego Technic 42065 - RC Tracked Racer 
Piece count: 370 + motor functions
AU Price: $119
Availability: Most major physical and online retailers 
Average discount: 25% in 2017
Battery requirements: 3 x AAA, 6 x AA


The Lego build


The build of the actual RC was quite satisfying. It was fairly straightforward, as you can imagine with only 370 pieces, but was quality nonetheless. It was interesting to see how the track function would come together to give the RC its unique tank like handling.

The motor functions fit neatly within the body of the RC racer. Lego has really thought about the access to the motor functions and made the body easy to lift to turn the function on/off.

Motor function access


As with all things Technic, there is a stack of stickers to apply. Lego tell us that printing pieces would increase the cost of the set and while I accept that to a certain extent I would like to see more printed Lego pieces. 

Despite this personal gripe, I actually like the colour scheme of the RC racer. The black, vibrant green and white, with accent stickers, invoke the look of an RC racer. 

Each track on the RC racer is 37 individual track elements, controlled by six wheels. The controls for left and right are independent (hence tank like handling) enabling you to go forwards, backwards, left, right and 360 degree wheelies. 

For those in the know, Lego Technic turns 40 this year, with the first four Technic sets being released in 1977. To celebrate this milestone, Lego has included a special element in the Technic releases this year. It is a nice addition, almost an easter egg for collectors, and has been placed in a fairly prominent position in this build to enable it to be seen when the RC racer is travelling around. 

Lego Technic 40 years element

Image result for lego 42065As is the growing trend with Lego models, there is a second build; an RC off-road truck. While I have not built the second model, the images of it are fairly unimpressive and I was having so much fun with my RC racer that I couldn't bear to rebuild it to see what I thought of the second model. 

RC handling


When setting up the remote control for the RC racer make sure to set it as pictured (right black switch down and left black switch up). I made a mistake of having both black switches in the same position and could not for the life of me understand why my controls were backwards. My error dawned on me and just in time, as I was about to pull my hard work apart to trace the problem. 
Image result for lego 42065 remote
RC remote positioning

The actual handling of the RC racer is quite intuitive, so kids and adults alike can just pick up the controls and go. This ease also makes it a very satisfying experience as the fun can commence immediately. The range on the remote is decent, provided it is within line of sight of the RC.

As the tracks are lego elements, and plastic, they are a little loud when driving over our wooden floors. They also lack some traction on smooth surfaces; as I discovered when I tried to set up a chopping board jump! Now, when I added some roughness to the surface the RC racer navigated up an incline like a pro, which only added to the fun and possibilities.

As you can see from the video below, the RC racer is reasonably robust. It has handled tipping over several times, rough landings after a couple of higher jumps and generally smashing into things as I master the handling for seamless turns and transitions. I am impressed with how well it has stayed together without any adjustments required.







Overall impressions


While not a complicated build, this is a fun Lego model that has future play opportunities due to the motorised functions. It is nice to see Lego release an RC racer, it seems like a natural pairing between Lego elements and power functions. 

I am normally a bargain hunter and while I bought this set on sale, I can honestly say that I found it so much fun that I would not have objected to paying full price. The price per piece plus the power functions makes the set almost reasonably priced by Lego standards.

I am trying to convince my husband to buy a second one so that we can race or maybe have some monster truck style derby crashing and smashing but so far he is resisting; despite always asking to play with the toy!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the set and, if you own one, any crazy fun that you have had with the RC racer.

Yours in brick
C



No comments:

Post a Comment