Saturday 25 March 2017

Lego PAB hubris

My hubris with the Lego pick'a'brick wall

With the opening of the Lego Certified Store at Dreamworld almost two months ago, I was excited that this meant the introduction of the pick'a'brick wall (PAB). I had never had access to the wall before so was unaware of the multitude of online tips and tricks for how to make the most of a PAB haul (I am not sure why I thought that this would be a frontier without Lego fanaticism demonstrating the best ways to get maximum value).

Image result for pick-a-brick wall

Unarmed with any knowledge I embarked on my first PAB haul. I needed 2x4 bricks for a project I am embarking on to make a display for my minifigures. These pieces run $0.30 from Lego directly or $0.20 from Bricklink. For me that was the target price, any extra Lego was a bonus. I decided to go with the large cup at $29.95, which seems to be better value than the $14.95 cup (although after watching youtube tips I am questioning this assessment).

PAB haul
My husband went along with me, although not a Lego fan he is very supportive of my Lego hobby (obsession), and is always wiling to lend a hand. Between us we had multiple cups on the go, testing different ways to stack bricks and maximise space. Eventually he hit on a great method - 6 stacks of 2x4 bricks with 15 bricks per stack so 90 2x4 bricks in total placed in the centre of the cup. I was pretty happy with that number. We also made some stacks of 4x4 flat base plates and then went to town pouring small pieces down the sides, in-between and in the top of the cup - basically anywhere Lego would fit, it went!

I was chuffed, I was sure I had achieved maximum value in my PAB. I brought it home and began the weighing and sorting process. I was impressed with myself as I had managed to score 460 grams of Lego. However, on exploring what other people manage to cram into their PAB cup my initial hubris about my efforts was somewhat diminished. 

I learned that the average 2x4 bricks per cup is 167. My initial thought was 167! What, no, really 167?! Then I saw the youtube video of how you achieve 167 bricks in a cup. To see how it's done take a look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIS2rwYPTc

Truly demoralised by my meagre effort, I was still heartened by the fact that I had Lego, and a fair chunk, to go through to explore the randomness of my PAB adventure. I got a bit of everything as other than the 2x4s I was not getting bricks for any specific purpose; just wanting to experience the various PAB pieces. 

I got the following Lego elements:

1. Translucent blue nose cone
2. Flowers
3. Stems
4. Leaves
5. 1x2 black brick with groove
6. 1x2 flat green tile
7. 2x2 flat grey tile
8. 2x2 flat beige tile with stud
9. Single clear stud
10. Sand green telescope
11.  1x1 modified sand green tile clip
12. 4x4 base plate - green, black and beige

All in all I was satisfied with my experience and value for money. I got a few hundred pieces, bringing the per piece price down to about $0.05 per piece - taking into account that some of the pieces I got would only have been $0.01, while others would be $0.30. I can understand why people get so hyped about the PAB, in Lego terms it really does represent value for money. The only downside is that you are beholden to the Lego gods in terms of what items will be available and for the popular bricks, if and when they will be in stock. 

Sorted Lego PAB 
I will take another run at the PAB and see how I go as I will not be defeated for value and maximum Lego advantage! I would love to hear about other's experiences with the PAB in Australia or elsewhere and any tips or tricks you have to share in getting the most inside that elusive plastic cup.

Yours in brick
C

No comments:

Post a Comment